Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Just 3 More Sleeps!

Today my mother landed in Ontario to begin her new life near my sister's family. There are three reasons why I am so excited about this:

1. She will get to see her grandson, Roman, for the first time. He is just 7 months old. She will also get to see her 2 other grandchildren Gabrielle (4) and Michael (2) for the first time in over a year.

2. Now that she is in Ontario I know that she is only 3 sleeps away from her visit to Oregon. And again, this will be the first time she gets to meet her grandson Declan (19 months) and see her grand daughter Maya since she was just 6 weeks old.

3. This move means both my mom and my sister will be living closer to me. Sure Ontario is not just around the corner but it is still MUCH closer than Newfoundland!

Some people have asked me "How do you handle not seeing your mother or sister in 2 1/2 years?" Well, the answer to that question is simply this, I have a wonderful family of my own who keeps my mind busy. I also talk on the phone to my family in Canada several times a week so that makes it easier to keep in touch. My blog is also another great source of information and helps to keep my family up to date on our day-to-day experiences here in Oregon. But that said, it is never easy being so far from home.

Some days I just want to drop by my sister's house to let the kids play together.
Some days I just want to call my mom to go shopping with me.
Some days I just want to get a coffee at Tim Horton's with my father.

These days are not so easy for me. The days when I am reminded that I will probably never live near all of my family members again. As adults we grow-up, move away from home, and try to make the most of the lives we have been blessed with. As teenagers we dream, along with our siblings, to always stay close and one day let our kids grow-up together. As children we fight, argue and moan about never having our alone time. I am now 31 years old, but sometimes I still feel like that teenager wishing to be closer to her sister, niece and nephews. As I have heard so many times before, friends come and go but family is forever. I know that nothing will ever change that for me. Not even distance. My family is and will always be my support and the ones I can count on for everything in life.

So now you can imagine how excited I am to have my mommy come visit us here in Oregon. This is where I have started my new life and where my children are growing-up. I want her to see Oregon in all it's beauty. From the mountains to the beaches and the vineyards in between. Oregon is breath-taking and to now share that with my mother will be the best experience of all. Just 3 more sleeps Mom (Nanny)!!!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting! I bet your mom is on pins and needles waiting to come and see those cute kids!

Sarah Ondracek said...

Tammy, I am so excited for you! Having your mom here will be SO GREAT!!! Early mornings with a cup of coffee or late nights filled with long talks, you guys will have a wonderful time together. It will be so awesome to see her Maya and Declan too. Don't explode with excitement between now and Friday!

Anonymous said...

I can totally get how excited you must be!! My parents are in Pakistan, Rob in Oshawa and me and mine in South Africa. It is hard, but I also know that we are closer than many families who live around the corner from each other!
Have a great time with your mom - soak it up!
Merrilou

Dayna said...

I'm so excited for you too! The kids love having Nanny here. I can't wait to see Maya and Declan's reaction to her. By the way, looking at the kids in this picture I just CAN'T WAIT to see them and squeeze them! I'm getting so excited for August!!! They are beautiful children - we are blessed!

Heidi Boos said...

You will have such a great time!! So glad that you get a couple of weeks with your mom in town and she gets to see (in person) her grandbabies! Have lots of fun and enjoy the adventures...even if it's just sitting and talking. ;)

Russell Family said...

1 more sleep! Hope that you have a wonderful time visiting with your mom! I know she will love seeing the kiddos!