Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One Project At A Time

When we moved into our house in April 2008, we decided that we would make our upstairs bonus room into our family room where we could all sit, play and watch TV. So we bought a new sleeper sofa in hopes that it could be used when guests came to visit. It turned out that neither the sofa nor the mattress were very comfortable. We decided to sell our couch and put that money towards a big screen TV for our living room on the main floor. This new TV meant a whole new design concept. We reconfigured our living room to fit the 50" plasma and in turn transformed our bonus (family) room into a play room for the kids. This is what our bonus room looked like when we first moved in...


And this is what it looks like now...


A dress-up center, toy cubbies, and a soccer ball bean bag chair

Paintings that my talented kids created for their very own play room

Family pictures frame the door to the bathroom


A wall of memories


The futon cover is actually my duvet cover that I had when I was in college. After describing my ideal window coverings, Jeremy bought these sheer curtains which seem to brighten-up the room.
Thanks to my friend Heidi who is a Stampin'-up Demonstrator, I will also be adding some white vinyl numbers to the wall above the dress-up center. They should arrive before my mom comes next week so it will be fun to get the room COMPLETELY done by then.
The installation of our surround sound system in our living room should be completed this weekend as well. We have been very busy these last few weeks with remodeling projects. We installed 3 new light fixtures on the main floor of our house and also a new kitchen faucet. There are a lot of other projects that we hope to get done but our next big one will be our backyard. We are planning to build a deck and extend the roof to cover the deck. Considering how busy we will be this summer with family visits, this project will probably be postponed until next summer.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

I love the new bonus/play room. The colors are great. Looking forward to see it all. Not much longer now!

Love you all!

Heidi Boos said...

Oh, Tammy! This is adorable! What a transformation! Loving the bright color for the wall and the curtains really do give the room that added punch of color. Can't wait to see it with the numbers on the wall...that will be a fun addition.

May I pretty please copy your idea for the dress up center? I might do this for M's room. I'm tired of everything shoved in a basket...and having a mirror would be so fun for her. Super cute!!

Sarah Ondracek said...

I love the wall color, it looks really good! Everything is coming together so well and just in time for your mom to come visit!

Emily said...

looks like a great family room...I really love the wall color too.

Sarah said...

Looks great! We are "moving" (across the street!) and will have a loft area similar to this. Yours inspires me! I'm excited there will be an area just for toys, dream come true!! :-)